For Those Impacted by COVID-19, Cengage Offers Free Access to Digital Learning Materials, Other Resources
BOSTON—March 19, 2020—Cengage, an education and technology company, is offering free access to its digital learning materials and platforms, as well as other resources, for those impacted by COVID-19.
“The health and safety of our employees and customers around the globe are paramount. Millions of them have had their lives thrown into turmoil as a result of this unprecedented public health crisis,” said Michael E. Hansen, CEO, Cengage.
“We want to do everything we can to support students and educators as they shift to online learning environments,” Hansen continued. “Each of our businesses is taking a tailored approach based on the individual circumstances of their customers. For example, in the United States, we are giving college students at impacted campuses free access to our eTextbooks and digital courseware for the remainder of the Spring semester, regardless of whether their instructor uses Cengage materials. In K12, we are also offering free access to our learning platforms and eBooks.”
Specific examples of support include:
- U.S. Higher Ed: For college students at U.S. campuses that have closed, Cengage is providing free access to all Cengage platforms and eTexts through Cengage Unlimited. For faculty and administrators, Cengage is hosting free webinars and “Office Hours” led by instructors who offer strategies and best practices for online instruction. Additionally, for beauty and wellness students, Milady is offering complimentary access to MindTap for students currently enrolled in any U.S.-based beauty/wellness program.
- U.S. K12: National Geographic Learning is providing all U.S. K12 teachers with free access to its learning platforms and eBooks. Additionally, Cengage is extending access where it is needed for current digital users and providing training and support for teachers transitioning to online teaching.
- Gale: Gale is offering libraries and educators free access to a range of resources through a comprehensive online hub. This hub supports online learning for pre-K through undergraduate with interdisciplinary, curriculum-aligned resources; professional development eBooks to help those transitioning to virtual learning; credible content on health-related topics and global issues; and training on how to optimize existing collections for online learning.
- EMEA, Asia, LATAM, India, Australia (Higher Ed and K12): Cengage is providing region-specific support to our international higher ed customers based on local impact, teaching style and product availability. In some regions, this means ensuring students and instructors have access to resources and products; while for other regions it means helping our print-only customers implement and use courseware.
- English Language Teaching (ELT):National Geographic Learning English Language Teaching is supporting customers in three areas: teacher training, professional resources and learning materials. A webinar series is available to support English language teachers who are teaching online. We are also developing additional resources, including videos and academic blogs, to help schools and teachers make the transition online.
“The gravity of this unprecedented situation demands strong action. The Cengage response team is regularly reviewing updated guidance from the World Health Organization, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local government authorities, and we will adapt our response as needed,” said Hansen.
Cengage is the education and technology company built for learners. As the largest US-based provider of teaching and learning materials for higher education, we offer valuable options at affordable price points. Our industry-leading initiatives include Cengage Unlimited, the first-of-its-kind all-access digital subscription service. We embrace innovation to create learning experiences that build confidence and momentum toward the future students want. Headquartered in Boston, Cengage also serves K-12, library and workforce training markets around the world. Visit us at www.cengage.com or find us on Facebook or Twitter.