Gale’s Encyclopedia of Modern China Receives Dartmouth Medal Honorable Mention
Farmington Hills, Mich., Jan. 21, 2010 – Gale, part of Cengage Learning is proud to announce that the Encyclopedia of Modern China has received the American Library Association’s Dartmouth Medal Honorable Mention.
The Dartmouth Medal honors the creation of a reference work of outstanding quality and significance. Creation of reference works may include, but not be limited to, writing, compiling, editing, or publishing books or electronic information. The award is given to works that have been published or made available for the first time during the calendar year preceding the presentation of the award.
Given China’s increasing role in world affairs, its modern history and its culture are of great interest to many. The Encyclopedia of Modern China brings reliable facts, analysis and understanding to students, professionals and others who study and interact with people in Chinese culture.
“The Encyclopedia of Modern China contains comprehensive information on every aspect of China. This recognition with the Dartmouth Medal Honorable Mention certificate is a testament to its value,” said Frank Menchaca, Gale’s executive vice president of publishing. “The Dartmouth Medal has long been associated with works of outstanding quality and distinction, and we are proud that this Gale title has been recognized.”
The Encyclopedia of Modern China is designed for academic and professional users – from advanced high school students and undergraduates to professors, journalists and business people – as well as public library patrons. The encyclopedia showcases the work of an international body of prominent scholars, who offer original and authoritative analysis of all aspects of the history and culture of China since 1800.
Highlights from Encyclopedia of Modern China include:
- Authoritative content and fresh scholarly analysis from commissioned contributors from colleges and universities in China and around the world
- Scores of tables, charts, graphs and maps to illustrate key points
- A glossary appendix listing transliteration of unique names, terms and expressions
- A cumulative index, cross references and lists of related topics in each article, providing multiple access points to the cross-disciplinary content
- Bibliographies at the end of all articles, suggesting important sources for reference and further reading
- A chronology of Chinese history since 1800, outlining key events in the nation’s recent history, and offering international parallels for context and perspective
- An appendix of primary sources to enhance readers’ understanding of life in modern China
- A navigational tool that provides access to all articles by subject and theme
For more information, please contact Linda Busse at [email protected].
About Cengage Learning and Gale
Cengage Learning delivers highly customized learning solutions for colleges, universities, professors, students, libraries, government agencies, corporations and professionals around the world. Gale, part of Cengage Learning, serves the world’s information and education needs through its vast and dynamic content pools, which are used by students and consumers in their libraries, schools and on the Internet. It is best known for the accuracy, breadth and convenience of its data, addressing all types of information needs – from homework help to health questions to business profiles – in a variety of formats. For more information, visit www.cengage.com or www.gale.com.