Gale Announces Archives Unbound– Providing Electronic Access to Rare Primary Source Material
Farmington Hills, Mich., Dec. 3, 2009 – Gale, part of Cengage Learning, announced today the release of Archives Unbound, a vast new electronic resource that combines the best of legacy microfilms from Gale and Primary Source Media along with new, never-before-published collections of historical and scholarly documents sourced from institutions worldwide.
Archives Unbound was developed in response to users’ requests for online access to essential research materials. It offers unprecedented access to highly targeted, specialized collections in a cross-searchable digital format.
Collections available today include:
- The Economy and War in the Third Reich, 1933-1944
- Federal Surveillance of African Americans, 1920-1984
- Witchcraft in Europe and America
- East Germany from Stalinization to the New Economic Policy, 1950-1963
- JFK’s Foreign Affairs and International Crises, 1961-1963
- Intergovernmental Committee on Refugees: The West’s Response to Jewish Emigration
- Global Missions and Theology
- Policing the Shanghai International Settlement, 1894-1945
- Feminism in Cuba, 1898-1958
- Overland Journeys: Travels in the West, 1800-1880
- Alexander III and the Policy of “Russification,” 1883-1886
- And many more
Archives Unbound will publish more than 25 new collections per year across a variety of disciplines, regions, subjects, and time periods.
“Archives Unbound fills an important void, addressing the needs of individual scholars, universities and organizations who value online access to key documents,” said Jim Draper, vice president and publisher at Gale. “Archives Unbound is unique not only for its expansive, multi-disciplinary content, but also for the distinct new intuitive search platform by which you access it.”
Archives Unbound provides:
- Subject-specific archives to support multi-disciplinary research in history, political science, hard science, ethnic studies and more
- Intuitive searches that yield organized results
- Highlighted keywords to facilitate research
- Maximum flexibility and accessibility for the 24-hour researcher
- Thorough coverage with 5,000 to 200,000 pages per collection
For more information, please contact Linda Busse at [email protected].
About Cengage Learning and Gale
Cengage Learning delivers highly customized learning solutions for colleges, universities, professors, students, libraries, government agencies, corporations and professionals around the world. Gale, part of Cengage Learning, serves the world’s information and education needs through its vast and dynamic content pools, which are used by students and consumers in their libraries, schools and on the Internet. It is best known for the accuracy, breadth and convenience of its data, addressing all types of information needs – from homework help to health questions to business profiles – in a variety of formats. For more information, visit www.cengage.com or www.gale.com.