Gale Announces Biography in Context
Gale, part of Cengage Learning, today announced Biography in Context, a new online resource developed to meet the needs of today’s Internet-savvy researchers. This next-generation offering evolved from, and will replace, the Biography Resource Center database.
“Biography in Context joins Gale’s family of new In Context knowledge portals that deliver authoritative, media-rich content complemented by features that engage users, enhance understanding, foster further research and support 21st Century learning skills,” said, Frank Menchaca, Executive Vice President and Publisher, Gale.
Designed as an online learning environment, Biography in Context delivers content that builds collaboration from the library to the classroom.
Biography in Context includes the following:
- Read Speaker text-to-speech technology, available on every page, is an ideal option for struggling readers and the visually impaired
- Document translator allows students to translate any document into French, Spanish, Japanese, German, Italian, Portuguese, simplified Chinese, and Korean
- The addition of Lives & Perspectives Collection, giving Biography in Context more than 600,000 biographies on more than 525,000 influential people
- Topic overviews combine with multiple media assets (images, video, podcasts) and authoritative reference content to deliver information, in context, through one comprehensive web-like portal page
- “Expert Picks”, including reference documents, podcasts, primary sources, and magazine and journal articles, that are selected by subject matter experts to guide users in exploring topics at a deeper level
- “Factbox”, providing a quick overview of topic highlights, consistent with open web alternatives
- Related topics and web links aiding discovery of similar content
- Content organized by type (reference, news, magazine, primary sources and more) to support the needs of general information seekers and those who wish to conduct more extensive research
Based on the acclaimed Gale Resource Centers, Biography in Context joins Student Resources, Opposing Viewpoints, Science, U.S. History, World History and Canada in Context products, which were released in July.
Existing Resource Center subscribers will receive these new products as an upgrade at no additional cost. For more information, a product preview or to request a trial, visit www.gale.com/NewRCs.
For more information, please contact Kristina Massari at [email protected].
About Cengage Learning and Gale
Cengage Learning is a leading provider of innovative teaching, learning and research solutions for the academic, professional and library markets worldwide. Gale, part of Cengage Learning, serves the world’s information and education needs through its vast and dynamic content pools, which are used by students and consumers in their libraries, schools and on the Internet. It is best known for the accuracy, breadth and convenience of its data, addressing all types of information needs—from homework help to health questions to business profiles – in a variety of formats. For more information, visit www.cengage.com or www.gale.com.