Gale Debuts New Global Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) History
The First Global Peer-Reviewed Academic Resource on LGBTQ History
FARMINGTON HILLS, Mich. – January 22, 2019 – Gale, a Cengage company, has released the Global Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) History. This new encyclopedia is the first authoritative academic resource of its kind with an international focus on the history of the LGBTQ community. Now libraries can provide students and researchers with the most current and reliable global content on LGBTQ history, enabling greater understanding and open dialogue on the topic. Check out the blog post by Howard Chiang, Editor-in-Chief of the Global Encyclopedia of LGBTQ History.
“Gale created the Global Encyclopedia of LGBTQ History to address the lack of academic, international LGBTQ content available for libraries and researchers,” said Paul Gazzolo, senior vice president and general manager at Gale. “While other reference titles exist on LGBTQ topics, this new encyclopedia is the first authoritative academic resource that truly provides a global perspective on LGBTQ history.”
The Global Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) History is a three-volume, set that delivers a worldwide view of the LGBTQ experience, covering prominent figures and events globally in areas such as activism, art, literature, film, health and sociology across nearly 70 countries. It’s written by academics who not only have subject matter expertise, but also regional expertise in the field of LGBTQ theory.
Read the chapter, “The Art of Queering Asian Mythology.”
The Global Encyclopedia of LGBTQ History offers:
- A global view of the history of LGBTQ, both the advancements and challenges.
- Up-to-date, hard-to-find content on LGBTQ history, all in one reference title.
- Extensive coverage of nearly 70 countries, with additional countries represented throughout the encyclopedia.
- More than 1,800 pages that complement university courses in a variety of disciplines, including history, literature, psychology, sociology, American studies and others.
- 383 entries written by academics from around the world, with nearly half of entries written by international contributors, representing 35 different countries.
- 316 full-color photos and illustrations, including a thematic outline and comprehensive index.
- Rich cross-referencing to help students and researchers make connections between entries.
The Global Encyclopedia of LGBTQ History is complementary to Gale’s Archives of Sexuality & Gender: LGBTQ History and Culture Since 1940, Parts I & II and helps frame and support the historical content captured in the collections.
Gale will showcase the Global Encyclopedia of LGBTQ History at the ALA Midwinter Conference in Seattle, January 25-28 at Gale booth #1817.
For more information or to request a trial, visit the Global Encyclopedia of LGBTQ History webpage.
About Cengage and Gale
Cengage is the education and technology company built for learners. The company serves the higher education, K-12, professional, library and workforce training markets worldwide. Gale, a Cengage company, provides libraries with original and curated content, as well as the modern research tools and technology that are crucial in connecting libraries to learning, and learners to libraries. For more than 60 years, Gale has partnered with libraries around the world to empower the discovery of knowledge and insights – where, when and how people need it. Gale has 500 employees globally with its main operations in Farmington Hills, Michigan. For more information, please visit www.gale.com.
Follow Gale on:
Kayla Siefker, Gale, a Cengage company, 248-915-9624, [email protected]