Gale Launches Global Issues in Context– First in New Generation of Electronic Products
Farmington Hills, Mich., Jan. 23, 2009 — A new electronic resource offering global news and perspectives on issues, topics and events of international importance, Global Issues in Context represents the first of a new generation of products from Gale, part of Cengage Learning. An important part of Gale’s “power to the user” mission, this product was designed with the end-user in mind.
“From human rights, to global warming, to how the world views Barack Obama’s initial days as President, today’s important issues reach far beyond the borders of the United States,” said Jay Flynn, Gale’s vice president and publisher for social science and K-12.
Launched in December 2008, Global Issues in Context allows users to draw informed conclusions about the issues facing the world today using a broad range of resources. Issue and country portal pages arrange news, video, unique commentaries, podcasts, reference, primary source documents, and statistics into highly accessible, visually appealing research centers.
“Global Issues in Context does not look like the typical database product for libraries, which is one of the things that makes this authoritative resource so cutting edge,” said Flynn. “You view content in a way that resembles open web and even social networking sites, moving from a search-and-retrieve environment, to a browse-and-discover paradigm, which is much more user friendly. Today’s end-users intuitively know how to navigate web portals, use Google Maps, and set up RSS feeds, so this product fits in seamlessly with how they normally interact with online information.”
This e-source also offers –
- Current viewpoints and historical context on issues and events, organizing issue-portals into user-friendly categories
- Expert perspectives – without U.S. filters – offering analysis of business, scientific, cultural, political, social and religious issues
- An intuitive interface with extensive video, audio files, interactive graphs/tables/charts, podcasts, images, maps and statistics
- More than 400 full-text English-language news sources, magazines and academic journals
- More than 250 issue portals with topic overviews and global perspectives, reference and primary source documents, statistics, periodicals, Web sites and multimedia
- 193 country portals featuring in-depth cultural information, statistics, maps, flags, encyclopedia articles and more
- Content customization and RSS
- MP3 audio files for every text document
Global Issues in Context correlates to K-12 national and state social studies and science standards, fits well into the college curricula, provides invaluable information to special libraries, and allows public library users to learn more about the world around them. Offering in-depth analysis, Global Issues in Context arms information seekers with the knowledge and skills needed to understand and succeed in an ever changing global economy.
For more information, please contact Linda Busse at [email protected].
About Cengage Learning and Gale
Cengage Learning delivers highly customized learning solutions for colleges, universities, professors, students, libraries, government agencies, corporations and professionals around the world. Gale, part of Cengage Learning, serves the world’s information and education needs through its vast and dynamic content pools, which are used by students and consumers in their libraries, schools and on the Internet. It is best known for the accuracy, breadth and convenience of its data, addressing all types of information needs – from homework help to health questions to business profiles – in a variety of formats. For more information, visit www.cengage.com or www.gale.com