Gale PowerSearch– Defining Power to the User
Farmington Hills, Mich., Jan. 23, 2009 — Since its launch in 2002, Gale PowerSearch has offered comprehensive access to authoritative reference and periodical information from a single starting point. New enhancements in the PowerSearch platform provide even greater ease – “giving more power to the user.”
Adopted by more than 70,000 public, academic, K-12 and special libraries, Gale PowerSearch simplifies browsing through Gale’s more than 20,000 publications, providing the ability to search across more than 150 million documents. The platform also allows for federated searching of thousands of additional databases, sites and library catalogs not published by Gale.
The new interface to be released in early 2009 gives users a Web-like experience and includes added features that will appeal to and empower library patrons, students and other researchers.
Researchers will still access periodical and reference content in multiple Gale databases from a single starting point, while cross-searching eBooks in the Gale Virtual Reference Library, but the platform now allows for a wide range of features and benefits, which were developed based on user feedback.
A key feature allows more customization options for the user, providing them with the ability to set up their own named user account. Users can change the home page so that the topics and publications they are interested in are fed through RSS feeds right to the page at login. In addition, users have better navigation options such as the new Publication Browse with hover technology which allows users to see more publication details without clicking through.
Other Improvements include –
- Three languages (Arabic, Polish and Russian) added to the translation feature, join the existing eight which include French, Spanish and Korean, enabling users to translate any of the 150 million articles available on the Gale PowerSearch platform into 11 different languages
- Addition of “named user” functionality, allowing researchers to save their search histories, maintain search alerts, create RSS feeds and save documents into their own customized folders
- Enhanced search results that incorporate images, video and podcasts directly into the results list
- Web 2.0 sharing tools including Del.icio.us, MySpace, Reddit, Digg, Facebook, Newsvine, Twitter and others
- ReadSpeak technology, allowing users to have all articles available via Gale PowerSearch read to them, or downloaded into MP3 format (an iPod or other audio devices) to listen to later
For more information, please contact Linda Busse at [email protected].
About Cengage Learning and Gale
Cengage Learning delivers highly customized learning solutions for colleges, universities, professors, students, libraries, government agencies, corporations and professionals around the world. Gale, part of Cengage Learning, serves the world’s information and education needs through its vast and dynamic content pools, which are used by students and consumers in their libraries, schools and on the Internet. It is best known for the accuracy, breadth and convenience of its data, addressing all types of information needs – from homework help to health questions to business profiles – in a variety of formats – books and eBooks, databases and microfilm. For more information visit: www.cengage.com or www.gale.com.