Gale Releases Encyclopedia of Modern China
Farmington Hills, Mich., Dec. 1, 2009 – Gale, part of Cengage Learning, today announced the release of Encyclopedia of Modern China, an important addition to Scribner’s World History Program.
The Encyclopedia of Modern China is designed for academic and professional users – from advanced high school students and undergraduates to professors, journalists and business people – as well as public library patrons. The encyclopedia showcases the work of an international body of prominent scholars, who offer original and authoritative analysis of all aspects of the history and culture of China since 1800.
“China is the most populous country and most dynamic trade market in the world right now, and Encyclopedia of Modern China provides critical information on the people, politics, economics, religion, philosophy, traditions, art and literature of this ancient and enduring civilization,” said Helene Potter, director of publishing at Gale. “This comprehensive encyclopedia explores China from the beginning of the 19th century to the present day.”
Given China’s increasing role in world affairs, its modern history and culture are of great interest to many, and this work is designed to bring reliable facts and analysis to students, professionals and others who study and interact with China and its people.
Highlights from Encyclopedia of Modern China include:
- Authoritative content and fresh scholarly analysis from commissioned contributors from colleges and universities in China and around the world
- Scores of tables, charts, graphs and maps to illustrate key points
- A glossary appendix listing transliteration of unique names, terms, and expressions
- A cumulative index, cross references and lists of related topics in each article, providing multiple access points to the cross-disciplinary content
- Bibliographies at the end of all articles, suggesting important sources for reference and further reading
- A chronology of Chinese history since 1800, outlining key events in the nation’s recent history, and offering international parallels for context and perspective
- An appendix of primary sources to enhance readers’ understanding of life in modern China
- A navigational tool that provides access to all articles by subject and theme
For more information, please contact Linda Busse at [email protected].
About Cengage Learning and Gale
Cengage Learning delivers highly customized learning solutions for colleges, universities, professors, students, libraries, government agencies, corporations and professionals around the world. Gale, part of Cengage Learning, serves the world’s information and education needs through its vast and dynamic content pools, which are used by students and consumers in their libraries, schools and on the Internet. It is best known for the accuracy, breadth and convenience of its data, addressing all types of information needs – from homework help to health questions to business profiles – in a variety of formats. For more information, visit www.cengage.com or www.gale.com.