Gale Releases PowerSearch 2.0 – Increased Searchability of Library Content and Enhanced Interface Functionality
Farmington Hills, Mich., June 24, 2009 – Gale, part of Cengage Learning, today announced the launch of PowerSearch 2.0, an enhanced version of the original PowerSearch platform which provides the library community comprehensive access to authoritative reference, periodical and primary source information, providing greater “power to the user.”
PowerSearch 2.0 simplifies browsing through Gale’s more than 20,000 publications, providing the ability to search across more than 150 million documents. The new interface provides users a Web-like experience and includes added features that will appeal to and empower library patrons, students and other researchers.
Key enhancements provide more customization options for the user, allowing them to create their own custom profile. Users can modify the home page so that the topics and publications they are interested in are fed through RSS feeds directly to the page at login. In addition, users have better navigation options such as the new Publication Browse with hover technology which allows users to see more publication details without clicking through.
Other Improvements include –
- Web 2.0 sharing tools including Del.icio.us, MySpace, Reddit, Digg, Facebook, Newsvine, Twitter and others to connect users with their community. These tools allow users to push interesting articles out to the Web to share with others.
- ReadSpeaker (text-to-speech technology), allowing users to have all articles available from within the platform read aloud. All articles are fully downloadable in MP3 file format and can be played on an iPod or other audio devices.
- Addition of “named user” functionality, allowing researchers to create custom profiles, name and save any search and modify RSS feed on the product’s homepage, thus facilitating ongoing research and supporting user’s interests.
- Search results that incorporate portals of context sensitive multimedia (images, video and podcasts).
- On-demand translation of documents into 11 different languages, helping institutions support a global community of users.
Beginning in July, PowerSearch 2.0 will be fully implemented for all customers. Current Gale customers can enable PowerSearch 2.0 now by contacting Gale Technical Support at 1-800-877-4253, option 4. Libraries can get a head start on learning how to use the new design by clicking on the “Find Out More” link on the PowerSearch Web site: www.gale.com/powersearch.
For more information, please contact Linda Busse at [email protected].
About Cengage Learning and Gale
Cengage Learning delivers highly customized learning solutions for colleges, universities, professors, students, libraries, government agencies, corporations and professionals around the world. Gale, part of Cengage Learning, serves the world’s information and education needs through its vast and dynamic content pools, which are used by students and consumers in their libraries, schools and on the Internet. It is best known for the accuracy, breadth and convenience of its data, addressing all types of information needs – from homework help to health questions to business profiles – in a variety of formats – books and eBooks, databases and microfilm. For more information visit: www.cengage.com or www.gale.com.