Heinle Milestones and Visions Programs Adopted by Florida State Board of Education
Unique Program Designed to Improve Student Performance on Standards Exams, Further Advance Reading, Writing, Speaking of English Language
Heinle ELT, a leading provider of materials for English language teaching and learning throughout the world and part of Cengage Learning, today announced two series adoptions by the Florida State Instructional Materials Committee (SIMC). Heinle ELT’s new Milestones program has been adopted for Language Arts through ESOL, Grades 6 to 8, and its Visions program for English through ESOL, Grades 9 to 12.
The Milestones series, developed specifically for English learners, offers solid language instruction that ensures students master Florida RLA and ELP standards. The program includes many features to prepare students for success on Florida standardized exams, such as the FCAT and CELLA, including:
- Embedded assessment to track and prevent potential skills gaps before they happen
- Extensive practice of academic vocabulary for both classroom and Florida state exam success
- Point-of-use differentiated instruction strategies ensure all students meet or exceed grade-level expectations
- Complete intervention and remediation support to help students master challenging skills and Florida standards, enabling rapid progression
The comprehensive Milestones program includes tools for both the student and the teacher, including the MilestonesTracker Online Assessment and Remediation System. This unique component provides remediation, practice and progress monitoring of any skill and Florida standards which students may have difficulty mastering.
Geared to high school students, the Visions language development and reading program supports students from pre-literacy through transition into mainstream classrooms. Using the ‘Into, Through, and Beyond’ methodology, Visions helps guide student through every lesson to ensure skills development and academic success. Some of the features of this series include:
- New Florida components such as the FCAT Preparation Workbook, RLA/ELP Lesson Planners, and Florida Remediation Tool to ensure FCAT and CELLA success!
- Scaffolding throughout all 4 books that utilizes a 3-pronged approach to meeting the standards: Introduce, Practice, and Assess
- High-interest, level-appropriate literature and content readings that motivate students
The Milestones and Visions series help students master standards that are crucial to meeting the needs of Florida standardized exams. Both of these programs prepare students to be better readers, writers and speakers of the English language, outside of the classroom.
About Cengage Learning and Heinle ELT
Cengage Learning delivers highly customized learning solutions for colleges, universities, professors, students, libraries, government agencies, corporations and professionals around the world. Heinle ELT, part of Cengage Learning, is a leading provider of materials for English language teaching and learning throughout the world. Heinle is committed to helping learners become more effective readers, writers, and communicators, and to helping teachers become more effective in guiding learners to achieve their goals. For more information, visit http://elt.heinle.com or www.cengage.com.